The transition from primary school to secondary school can be a very daunting experience. At Windsor Gardens we put in place a series of activities over the course of the year to help students acclimatise to us. They have the opportunity to meet staff and students, see and experience some of the activities that will be available to them when they join us and become familiar with the school’s buildings and surrounds.
Year 7/8 transition activities include:
- Open Day
- Auslan Sports Day – for Hearing Impaired students run by Year 10 Auslan students
- Windsor in Action – involved 10 local primary schools, run by Year 8 Care groups
- Visits to local primary schools including Dernancourt, Wandana, Prospect North, Klemzig, Hampstead, Charles Campbell, Pooraka, Paradise, Hillcrest, Northfield, East Marden, Ingle Farm and Vale Park
- Visits from Klemzig, Northfield, Dernancourt, Vale Park and Wandana Primary Schools for Science
- Year 6/7 Soccer Carnival – involving 10 local primary schools, run by the Sport & Recreation Pathway
- Deaf Pride Day – for all SA Centre’s for Hearing Impaired, run by Windsor’s CHI students
- Indigenous Transition Day
Transition Day – for all Year 7’s transitioning to Windsor
This day takes place in Term 4 each year and involves students taking part in a modified school day program where they attend a number of lessons, meet several of their teachers for the following year, meet the Peer Support students who will be their senior school buddies and have a tour of the school. They will also have their photo taken so they can start the school year with their new ID cards.
During this day parents are welcome to attend the introduction session and this is followed by a parent information session and morning tea where they can meet the Principal and several key staff members.